3 places where introverts need to get away to recharge their batteries

lake

Last year my family celebrated our daughter’s graduation from high school with a small celebration. We were near a lake and the temperature was in the 90’s. Many of our friends were there with their kids, who immediately took to the water.

It was the perfect setting. I enjoyed conversing with our friends, as we talked about kids and past events; and I was particularly animated as I talked.

Then it hit me like a title wave. I needed time to get away and recharge my batteries. Did I care if company would miss me? Not really.

As an introvert, group events can take a toll on me. I enjoy the company of others, but my energy level for talking with them is not as enduring as it is for extraverts.

Extraverts have that energy that drives them through a party; it charges their batteries. They derive mental stimulation by talking and being listened to.

I don’t’ envy them, though. The time alone to watch the kids swimming in the lake or even sitting in silence next to another introvert is as rewarding as it is for extraverts to talk to others at length. It’s a time to reflect.

Small gathering is the first place that comes to mind where introverts need to get away. The following two are:

Networking events. As an introvert, you may find yourself enjoying a conversation with a few people, but suddenly it occurs to you that where you’d rather be is in a quiet place, such as outside getting some fresh air.

What’s likely to happen is another introvert joining you, perhaps by mistake or because she saw you escaping to your place of reflection.

This is fine, because it’s you and she making small talk, such as, “Had to get away from the crowd.” I know what you mean, she tells you. And so you’ve established a bond.

Like the time I stole away from our guest at my party, you’ve had the opportunity to recharge your batteries so you can return to the larger group, which is now in the “needs and leads” portion of the event.

One of my LinkedIn connections told me this type of break is what she needs returning to a business event and possibly an extended after hours. Sure, it may be time for some to retire to the hotel room, but she understands the value of personal networking and pushes herself to keep going.

reflect

Work. Some introverts enjoy the opportunity to take a lunch-time walk, while their colleagues, most likely extraverts, are gathered in the staff room engaged in a boisterous conversation.

Walking alone or with a walking mate is a great way to recharge your batteries. I personally prefer listening to music or talk radio, as it allows me to walk at my rapid speed and lose myself in thoughts of the day.

If your fortunate to have an office or cubicle away from the fray, your getaway is convenient and doesn’t require leaving the office.

This type of situation is ideal after a day full of meetings, not only to recharge your battery but also to respond to any e-mails following the meetings.

Introverts are more productive when they have solitude and moments to reflect and write, something they prefer over meetings and brainstorming sessions. They derive their creativity from being alone or working with one other person.

Watch this TED talk by Susan Cain who explains how introverts are most creative.

Whether you’re at a family gathering, a networking event, or at work, getting away is important for maintaining a strong energy level. Introverts are capable of interaction for extended periods of time, but we’re more comfortable if we take time to get away.

Don’t deny yourself this opportunity and don’t feel as if you’re being antisocial. You’ll be happier and more productive if you tend to your preferred way to energize yourself.

Photo: Flickr, Dave McGlinchey

Photo: Flickr, Kirsty Harrison

Advertisements

16 thoughts on “3 places where introverts need to get away to recharge their batteries

1. Kristine Anthis

I like that you made the distinction between being very capable of interaction, but not always wanting it.

2. Tanja Gardner

I totally know how that “need to get away” feels, Bob – and I’ve learned to pay attention to it.

I’ve actually started explaining to my friends and family what introversion means (“I love you dearly, and I love spending time with you, but I get peopled out REALLY easily and need to take ‘me-time’ to recharge!”), and it’s done wonders for maintaining my sanity levels without making them feel rejected.

I actually wrote a recent post on how to incorporate the principles you mention above when you’re on vacation to make sure you don’t come back needing a holiday from your holiday!

Blessings

TANJA

3. Tanja Gardner

I also think being introverted means, “I’m listening to you with full concentration. But I can only listen such much and then need a break.”

Yes! THIS! I have a wonderful friend who’s an extrovert, and every now and then I have to say “Hey, ummm, could you give me a quiet break for a while to process what you’ve just told me? I want to listen fully, but all the stuff you’ve just said is still swimming around my brain and getting in the way!”

I’d be happy to share the blog post link: it’s http://crystalclaritycopywriting.com/taking-a-break/ (and if folks are interested in reading further, I have a load of other introversion-related posts under the category: http://crystalclaritycopywriting.com/category/introversion/ 🙂 )

Blessings

TANJA

4. Things Career Related Post author

Tanja,

As I read your post, I was thinking, “This woman knows how to explain what it’s like to be an introvert.” Further, you do a great job at explaining how to make quality time exactly that…quality. Who says a vacation means doing as much as possible while you’re there? What if relaxation or recharging one’s batteries makes a vacation, a networking event, or a work environment more enjoyable? Realizing this and doing something about it is what matters most. And if our friends or loved ones don’t understand this, shame on them. Great post.

5. Pingback: Misconceptions about introverts. 4 facts about both types | Things Career Related

6. Susan

Thank you for writing this. I have looked this topic up on the internet thinking that there must be something wrong with me! Now I know I am not alone. I am a talker but one who cannot sustain large groups of people and/or “drama” within groups of people for any length of time. However, it cost me a job! One of my co-workers was an extreme extrovert, talking and laughing all day. As much as I liked her originally, I could not consider going to lunch with the group because by the time that time came I required quiet and peace to recharge as is my nature. She took offense even though I told her (which was really true) that our lunches did not coincide since I started a few hours later and would therefore take my lunch later. Ultimately, my life was made miserable because she was an acting supervisor and in this role needed to have all on board with her in the office – therefore I was viewed as a “threat”. I am friendly but the type that gets the job done. I have been around politicking in the workplace for many years, and I don’t want it today. I can and do spend days without talking at all – but I am also very creative by nature (writer/painter) and could easily become a hermit since I live in my thoughts very often thinking through and/or writing about the next project. Interruptions therefore annoy me. The older get however, the more annoyed I am around people who simply thrive on chaos and drama. I could easily live in a cave and be happy with that. Thanks for this article which I very much appreciated reading.

7. Things Career Related Post author

Apparently you’re a writer as well as a talker, Susan. It is unfortunate that your supervisor demanded you to be one of the tribe. This is a sign of someone who is uncomfortable with differences in personality. A good leader knows what makes introverts and extraverts tick. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Susan.

8. Martin Rayala

It is clear from comments that people are (1) recognizing that there are real differences between introverts and extraverts and (2) it is OK to be an introvert even though our society often favors extraverts. The book “Quiet” helped me feel more comfortable about being an introvert.

1. Things Career Related Post author

Quiet is a must read for introverts…and extraverts. It’s wise to know about both dichotomies. There are real differences between introverts and extraverts; although, most aren’t drastic. I range between slight to clear depending on which assessment I take. But there are definite times when I feel the introvert traits loud and clear.

9. JUlie Bullen

Really lovely read, thankyou – I’ve practiced mini escapes as long as I can remember, nice to have it validated. My problem often is how to drag myself away from the garden/kitchen/balcony back to the bustle. I am self employed and always have been-, I find it easier to be able to live as an Introvert that way. Interestingly though I enjoy brainstorming and batting ideas around with others – I am an NP, which means my Intuitive function is ‘extraverted’, so its not as simple as all Introverts don’t like brainstorming. I will though run off after the brainstorm and pull the ideas together in a quiet corner on my own.

10. Things Career Related Post author

Thanks, Julie. I see your point about brainstorming. Generally speaking, introverts aren’t fond of brainstorming, but people don’t take into account the sensing and intuitive dichotomies very often. Nor the feeling dichotomy that to me says they are more tolerant of endless talking. I’m a thinker, so my inclination is to back off from long dialog unless it’s compelling.

11. 結婚できない男 無料